TransFlores Road Trip
Browse All Options
No results available
What you should know
The road trip starts from Labuan Bajo, which can be reached by flight from a few other airports in Indonesia (such as Bali). You can choose to be picked up from your hotel in Labuan Bajo or the Labuan Bajo airport.
It is possible to do the road trip independently without a guide, but in this lesser-known part of Indonesia, we really appreciated having a guide with us to provide us with more context on the cultures and history of the places we saw.
If you plan to do the trip independently on a motorcyle, please note that the mountain roads are winding and narrow - so the route may be better suited for an experienced motorcyclist.
None of the activities in any of the options are too strenuous. There are a few optional hikes along the way - if you plan to do them, you should have a relatively good level of fitness and be able to hike for a few hours on a trail with a moderate incline.
- Good weather
- More activities available
Between 4 to 7 days, depending on which option you pick!
The quality of accommodation is the same between the two providers so the main difference is the price and the length of the trips offered. The shorter trips give a sample of everyday life in Flores whereas the longer trips feature more local villages. If you would like to be totally immersed in a different way of life, you may want to spend a longer time meandering around Flores and enjoying a part of Indonesia less known to the outside world.
The itineraries provided by each individual company may vary, but they are always flexible. If you are interested to stop at any particular location along the way from Labuan Bajo to Maumere, you should notify your driver or guide.
We have found that the following places were worth a visit and may not be explicitly listed on the itinerary, which usually focus on the cultural villages:
- seeing Spider Web Rice fields (near Ruteng, and usually one of the most common stops);
- snorkelling near 17 Islands (near Riung, for this one you may need to skip another stop along the way, as it is a bit out of the way);
- hiking up the Wawo Muda Lakes near Badjawa for a scenic view of tri-colored lakes (albeit more bland than those at Mt. Kelimutu);
- Mt. Inerie;
- taking a dip in Mangeruda Hot springs (near Badjawa); and
- swimming in secluded Koka Beach (in between Ende and Maumere).
Also, once you've finished your trip, you can independently climb Mount Egon.