11-Day Goecha La Trekking
Kitchen and dining tent
Sleeping tent 2 /3 man dome or alpine
All meals during the trek
Guide, cook, kitchen helper
Porters & pack animals
First aid medical box and oxygen cylinder.
Hotels/homestay in Yuksom
Khangchendzonga national park fees
Transport from Bagdogra airport/NJP railwa
Meals in Yuksom Home stay
Cost for evening snacks & tea
Alcohol, soft drinks and bottled water
Cost for service not mentioned
Personal expenses such as laundry
Hire charges for porter
Any charges for carrying still/video cameras
Difference in cost arising due to extra usage of vehicle other than as scheduled and mentioned in the itinerary.
Drive to Yuksom, the first capital of Sikkim (6-7 hours)
Accommodation: Homestay - Homestay room
- Arrival at NJP/ Bagdogra
- Drive to Yuksom (travel time is around 6-7 hours)
- Explore Yuksom if time permits
- Top local attractions in and around Yuksom are Dubdi Monastery, the Coronation Throne (Norbhu Gang), and Kathok Lake.
- Settle down in homestay
Take a fairly easy trek to the first campsite at Sachen (8km/ 3.5h - 4.5h).
- Get used to trekking with an easy 3.5h - 4.5h to your first campsite.
- Note: Trekkers tend to skip this campsite at times; however, this is not recommended unless you are a seasoned trekker who has done multiple 800 m single-day altitude gains before.
Trek to Tsokha with a rest stop at a Bamboo Hut and Tea Stall
- Easy 1-hour trek from Sachen to bridge across Prek Chu (river)
- Trek 5km uphill from the bridge to Tsokha
- Rest at the Bakhim (Bamboo Hut)
- Visit tea stall in Bakhim and enjoy the scenery of the valley below
- Follow the tree line and trek to Tsokha (1.5 hours)
5-6 hours steep climb from Tsohka to Dzongri with a rest stop in Phedang
- Fill up water at Tsokha as there is no other water source on the trail
- 2.5-3 hour trek from Tsokha to Phedang
- Lunch and rest at Phedang
- 1 hour trek to Deorali Top (altitude of 4,100m)
- 2-3 hour trek (slightly easier at a slight descend) to Dzongri
- Note: Many people may experience headaches due to the 1,000m gain in altitude - do stay warm and hydrated and inform your guide on any headaches/ health issues. Headaches should subside in a couple of hours.
Admire 10 different snowcapped peaks from Dzongri
- Rest in Dzongri
- Wake up early and trek to Dzongri Top to see a full panoramic view of all the snow-capped mountains at sunrise (optional)
- Peaks include Kokthang, Rathong, Frey's Peak, Black Kabur, Kabru Dome, Kabru north and south, Khangchendzonga, Pandim, Tenzingkhang, Jopuno, and Narsing.
Trek 8km to Thangsing Campsite and play some field games
- 1-hour steep descent back to Kokchurang Campsite by the Prek Chu
- Rest at campsite (dense forest by the river side)
- Continue trek to Thangsing
- Set up camp for the night
- Enjoy views of Mt. Pandim at Thangsing campsite (depending on weather conditions)
- Join trekkers and local staff playing cricket, football, or volleyball (optional)
Simple trek from Thangsing to Lamuney
- 10am: 1.5 hour gradual and easy trek to Lamuney
- Rest at Lamuney camp to prepare for next day’s trek
- 2.30am: Wake up to leave for viewpoint
Watch sunrise at viewpoint and enjoy the beautiful Samiti Lake
- 2.30am: Prepare for the trek to the viewpoint
- Note: Temperature will be below zero at this hour
- Trek pass Samiti Lake in the dark
- Watch the sunrise at viewpoint
- Peaks light up in the descending order of altitude, with Khangchendzonga first to be lit followed by Kabru north and then the lower peaks in order.
- Carry a pair of binoculars with you to give yourself a chance of spotting a rare leopard or a flock of blue sheep.
- 8am: descend to Samiti Lake on your way back to the camp
- Return to Lamuney camp
- Early Lunch
- Descend to Kokchurang Campsite
- Settle down in camp
Descend back to Tsokha
- 4-5 hour trek through dense forest from Kokchurang to Phedang
- 2-hour trek from Phedang to Tsokha
Head back to Yuksom
- 1.5-2.5 hour descend to the suspension bridge over Prekchu
- 3.5 - 5.5 hour trek to Yuksom with a rest stop at Sachen