With so many kite school options, how do you just choose one? We ended up staying next door to here... so this one ended up being convenient for us, however, after our first day we were so glad we went with rascals! My bf and I have been wanting to learn to kite for awhile now and Kalpitiya kept coming up as best places to learn. We had instructors Rim and Safran and both we fabulous. we were concerned at first about the language barrier, but I almost thing it was better that way. There was no fluff or run in English sentences, everything taught was direct and to the point. We both ended up getting up and kiting on our 2nd and 3rd days! We didn’t have the pleasure of meeting Johanna, the owner, but we heard great things about her. We can’t wait to go back!
Leading from a dirt tiny "road" the iron gate opened into Paradise. Beautiful garden, swimming pool and lounge area, great bar and hangout space. WOW.
We were so excited and thrilled to find this and perhaps this is why the discoveries we made there were so disappointing as we expected the entire experience to be just like that first impression.
You should know that there is no hot water in the showers - in itself it is ok, though when paying higher prices for accommodations there are certain things you'd expect. I'm sure there is a logic to it, though it should be put in the description so guests are not surprised upon taking the first shower.
Meals are served together at set times (breakfast and dinner) in the communal area which is a wonderful way to meet and chat with other guests. The dinner quality was not up to par with the rest of the standard of the resort. The meals are plated and by the time they reach the table they are mostly cold.
We did approach the owner of the resort on one occasion at dinner, when we found the chicken served so tough to chew it was even hard cutting it with a knife. We made a quiet approach on the side and in return the owner rang the bell to get everyone's attention and scolded us for it and made it into a spectacle. It was very unpleasant and was the conversation of the night around our table with other guests who dare not say anything after witnessing that.
They prepared a substitute dish for us and the owner once tasted the chicken did agree with us that it tasted like "a dead dragon" (his words). However, he never apologized for the public scolding.
We thought this completely took away from the place, what they are trying to create and the good foundation that the Rascals laid there.
We enjoyed our stay at the Rascals because of the beautiful facilities, the interaction with the wonderful staff and mainly because we are looking to enjoy ourselves. We think that there are some easy adjustments the owners can make to make it truly a paradise.
Overall really enjoyed our stay and kitesurfing experience (January 2019) would definitely recommend this place!
- resort is very well maintained - lots of green beautiful plants and palm trees
- Really good food for all meals (including packed lunch at the beach!)
- Very friendly staff
- Picturesque boat ride to lagoon runs twice a day free of charge
- Clean spacious rooms (we had a cabana with outside shower which was cool)
- Kitesurf lessons were easy to organise at short notice - use of walkie talkie radios was useful for lessons (but literally just a walkie talkie tied to the side of your helmet!)
- Really environmentally friendly - e.g no plastic bags or straws
Things to note/ improve:
- Lack of communication on arrival - we had no idea what was happening and had to awkwardly ask staff simple things - would have been nice to have a proper greeting / intro to the resort
- rooms are very bare - would have liked there to be at least a full length mirror and clothes rail
- Timings are not particularly reliable for boat pickups and meal times
- Some kitesurf equipment needs to be replaced soon and more of it needed. Some helmets were broken and we rarely had correct size. The kites were good though and had been replaced recently.
- No hot water for showers
- Kitesurf instructors - whilst we think it’s amazing that the instructors are employed locally and they are very good kite surfers - it can be a bit harder for beginners to learn due to language barrier
- Kalipta Lagoon - you can’t stand up in most places which makes it much harder to learn - if you lose your board it can take upto half an hour to retrieve it and swim back to the shore!
A good kite resort with a friendly staff. Beautiful and clean rooms with the attractive pool. Delicious food. Had a wonderful experience here. Highly recommended for everyone.
Wow! We had an amazing holiday. Cosy and very clean bungalow! Good food & great atmosphere! The wind is perfect enjoying a lot kite surfing and the nice pool in the evening! Great host Monday and wife! We’ll back definitely!!!!