Sri Lanka Driver and Car Hire
Compare and Book
What you should know
You can go to Sri Lanka all year round! There are 2 monsoon seasons for different parts of the country. So if you're planning on outdoor activities, do plan to go to the part of Sri Lanka which isn't experiencing monsoon during your trip.
If you're planning on going to the south-west of Sri Lanka (e.g. Galle, Weligama, Sinharaja), try to avoid planning outdoor activities during its monsoon season from May and September. The dry season in this region runs from December to March.
If you're planning on going to the north-east of Sri Lanka (e.g. Mannar Island, Wilpattu, Polonnaruwa), try to avoid doing outdoor activities during their monsoon season between October and January. This region sees drier weather between May and September.
There is no minimum or maximum amount of time of hire. You can hire a driver and a car for a day, two days or ten days - all up to you!
There are three main differences between the options listed here.
(1) Distance cap - except for Sanjeewa and Jagath Kumara, all the drivers have a cap on the distance covered each day (after which, an additional charge will be incurred). Do let us know if you have any questions on your intended route, and whether additional charges may be incurred.
(2) Additional guide services - a few of the drivers are certified local guides as well as drivers. Going with a certified local guide will help you understand Sri Lanka better, and they will also be able to show you some special places!
(3) Driver accommodation cost - note that all the options (except for RD Expeditions and Jagath Wiljesooriya) include driver accommodation in the quoted price. Where driver accommodation is not included, this will add to your per day cost (approximately US$ 7.50 to US$ 10 where driver accommodation is not complimentary).
- These are typically the cars that the local drivers use - depending on your group size:
- 1-3 persons: Toyota Axio or Honda Shuttle.
- 4-6 persons: Toyota KDH van.
- For groups larger than 6 persons please check with us.