7-day Leisure Dive by Mikumba Diving
Meet your guide
Accommodation: Private Cabin - Private Cabin
- We meet up at 7 – 7.30 am at Je Meridien Hotel before leaving Sorong around 8.00 am to get the ferry to Waisai on Waigeo Island Check dive at an appropriate dive site in central (Mioskon, Friwen or Yenbuba). These are all stunning dive sites, easy to dive and its possible to see everything from mantas to pygmy seahorses Overnight stay in the bay between Mansuar and Kri Island
- Head over to Kri island to dive the amazing Chicken Reef (Karang Ayam). This site is excellent for pelagics such as tuna, Spanish mackerel, grey reefs sharks, white/black tip reef sharks, wobbegong sharks, and big schools of fish For the second dive, we’ll move closer to the world famous Cape Kri, where schools of barracuda, jackfish, batfish, snapper, small reef fish, rays, sharks, turtles, and groupers, as well as the coral itself, are out of this world For the third dive, we move west of Mansuar to dive Sawandarek village jetty, a protected dive site with a stunning reef and good for pygmy seahorses, nudibranchs, common octopus, wobbegong sharks and schools of jacks under the jetty After that you’ll either do a night dive around Arborek Island, in the Dampier strait between Gam and Mansuar or visit Barefoot Conservation to get information about mantas and where they’ve been spotted so we know where to go the next day
- There’s a 15 minute ride out to either the Manta Sandy or Manta Ridge cleaning stations where we can usually see 4-5 mantas being cleaned at the same time We then head west to Penemu and Fam Island to dive Melissa’s Garden, named after the diving pioneer Max Ammer’s daughter. Thousands of tiny reef fish, black tips, wobbegong sharks, pygmy seahorses, and much more can be found here For the third dive, we’ll move to the Kerou Chanel which can be a great drift dive if we get some current. Featuring a beautiful reef, huge sea fans, and wonderful soft corals (excellent for macro), there’s often some larger fish out in the blue too You can then visit the Bintan Lagoon viewpoint, before we start the 6-7 hour night crossing north up to Kawe Island, one of UNESCO’s world heritage sites
- We start off diving around Kawe Island and Eagle Rock with their stunning reefs and big fish action. The highlight here is seeing the mantas coming in to be cleaned On the second dive, we move over Black Rock, one of the best reefs in the north, with a beautiful soft coral reef and insane amounts of different schooling fish. Black Rock is also great for pygmy seahorses, turtles, black tip reef sharks and marble rays in the deep After the second dive, we’ll move back to Eagle Rock again, where normally the current will have changed and we can dive on a different part of this fantastic site We then moor up inside the stunning Alyui Bay for a night dive at the famous pearl farm, but make sure you prepare your camera and macro lens for muck diving!
- We start off with another wonderful dive in Alyui Bay at Chanel #5, a dive site featuring swim throughs, big schools of sweetlips, and fusiliers and white tip sharks sleeping under the rocks. Here, we can also encounter dolphins, so keep looking for them on the safety stop. Then, we move to the Yangeffo Islands for our second dive on a site discovered by our Cruise Director a couple of years ago. This offers a great mix of macro and bigger stuff too, keeping everyone happy. There’s a sloping reef down to 15 metres, then a sandy bottom where it’s possible to see flamboyant cuttlefish, robust ghost pipefish, ornate ghost pipe fish, decorator crabs, nudibranches, shrimps, and frogfishes if you are lucky. After a while, you’ll hit the reef again where we have seen eagle rays and manta rays cruising by. After a stop around Yangeffo, we’ll continue the trip for our last dive of the day in Gam. The famous Citrus Ridge, is a very fishy dive site to see stunning coral garden, yellow soft corals, schooling barracudas, sweetlips, tunas, Spanish mackerel, nudibranches, pygmy seahorses, frogfishes, and others. Next, we take a trip back to the east part of Dampier Straight, directly to Waisai to load up with fresh food and water
- An early start, but definitely worth it, we will wake you up at 04:45 for a small breakfast before heading onshore to watch the birds of paradise. Back to the boat for a proper breakfast while we make our way over to Blue Magic close to the island of Mioskon. On good days, this submerged reef has 5 meters visibility because the whole dive site is covered with schools of fish. We can also encounter the oceanic manta rays here. For the second dive we move to Sardine reef with a submerged sloping coral reef which should be dived in current to ensure plenty of fish life. It’s very good for big stuff as you’ll see school of fusiliers, rainbow runners, barracudas, sweetlips, giant trevallies, Spanish mackerel, grey reef sharks and much more. If there is current, you can get loads of hunting action and hear underwater thunder when the small fish move fast as the tunas strike the bait ball. Then, we move down to Kri Island again to visit the homestay and trek to the amazing viewpoint over Mansuar Island. You can just bring snorkel gear if you don’t want to do the trekking and later we do our third dive of the day, a night dive on the Yenkoranu Jetty. It’s a coral sloping reef with sand and bommies in the beginning and more reefs later which is very good for macro. There are pygmy seahorses, bobtail squids, pipefish, walking shark, mandarin fish, octopuses, cuttlefish, and even sleeping turtles on the reef to see there.
- There’s an opportunity for one dive in the morning before we head off leaving plenty of time to dry your equipment on the way back home to Waisai. Our guests usually want to visit Blue Magic again or other sites around Kri Island. On our way back, we’ll have lunch around 1pm and we will do a final briefing, exchange emails and photos, and say our farewells and the crew will organise transportation for the ferry back to Sorong.
- 18 dives during the whole trip
- Transport to Sorong Pier, from Je Meridien Hotel, the ferry from Sorong to Waisai, and the return trip.
- Full room and board on trip
- Fresh towels and linen
- Tea, coffee and water
- Tanks and weights
- Dive guides
- Amazing food.
- Pick up from other areas
- The use of diving equipment; should you need to rent some, please let us know
- Soft drinks and beers
- Travel Insurance
- Marine park fees / Harbour fees
Where you'll be staying
- Twin Beds
- Bunk Bed
- Air Conditioning
- Cold Shower
- Shared Bathroom
- Twin Beds
- Air Conditioning
- Cold Shower
- Ensuite Bathroom