3-Day River Safari & Stay
By Nasalis Larvatus
Choose this if...
Return transport from Sandakan airport/town center
4 river cruises
2 night walks
Meals when you're at the lodge and free flow of coffee & tea
2 nights of fan only dormitory accommodation in Nature Lodge Kinabatangan
Lunch on the 1st day
Alternatively, you can choose to be picked up at 10am from Sandakan Airport, and dropped off at noon on the last day at Sandakan Airport. If you prefer this, please let us know in the booking form.
Arrive at Nature Lodge Kinabatangan, enjoy a river safari and a night walk
Accommodation: Nature Lodge Kinabatangan - Dorm
- 1045hrs - Meet and greet at Wisma Khoo Siak Chiew Building (in front of RHB bank) by our friendly driver of the day. Once
- on board, your driver will provide a short briefing about the journey.
- 1130hrs - Meet and greet at Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre (Sepilok café) or any lodges within Sepilok area by our
- friendly driver of the day. A short briefing for those who just get on board.
- 1145hrs - A transit stop at Mango Garden Restaurant, Sepilok where you can have your lunch admist a green garden surroundings (Lunch will be by own expenses). After lunch, start the two and half hour journey to Nature Lodge Kinabatangan.
- 1230hrs - After lunch, start the two and half hour journey to Nature Lodge Kinabatangan.
- 1500hrs - Drive through the narrows winding road of Bilit village and arrived at Bilit jetty. Nature Lodge Kinabatangan is located across the Kinabatangan river, opposite the Bilit jetty. Settle into your room.
- 1600hrs - Embark on an evening boat cruise in search of wildlife and birdlife along the mighty Kinabatangan River. The River is the longest in Sabah (560km) and is known for its remarkable wildlife and fascinating habitat. Proboscis monkeys, Macaques, Silver Langurs, various species of hornbills, Kingfisher birds, Oriental Darters and snakes are commonly spotted along Kinabatangan River. The area is also known for the sighting of the endemic Borneo Pygmy Elephants (the smallest elephant in the world) and Orang Utan (The Wild Men of Borneo).
- 1800hrs - Return to the Lodge to freshen up. Enjoy your dinner at Café Haji Awang - this ensures that local businesses can directly benefit from your travel spending.
- 1930hrs- Wildlife presentation by one of our nature guides. The presentation will provide you with information of Kinabatangan wildlife and birdlife.
- 2000hrs - After that, proceed to join a night walk at the back of the Lodge in search of nocturnal creatures. Your walk will lead you to a large insect screen. The light, set-up directly onto the screen attracts night-flying insects such as beetles, moths and others. Learn more about the insects from our nature guide.
- 2045hrs - Return to the Lodge to rest. Overnight.
Enjoy a morning and afternoon river cruise. Also go on a guided afternoon where you'll see more of the local village life, and a night jungle walk.
- 0530hrs - Wake up to the sound of birds and get ready for the morning river cruise. Meet your guide at the jetty.
- 0600hrs - Enjoy the morning breeze while you search for wildlife along river bank. Most of them have stayed there overnight and they will look for foods before moving into the forest, away from predators and hot sun. The wildlife is most active during early morning and in the evening. You then have bit of time in the middle of the day to catch up on a book, take a nap or sign-up for other activities.
- 0730hrs - Back to lodge. Breakfast is served at Haji Awang restaurant.
- 0900hrs - Meet your guide for a walk along Kinabatangan River. Be on time for the meet up as your guide will provide a briefing before the trek starts. Take a leisure walk along Kinabatangan River and see the different species of trees and plants along the trail. While some parts of the forested areas in Kinabatangan remained preserved, many parts of it have gone through trees re-planting project as part of forest restoration or being converted to plantation. You will be able to spot the traditional fish trap set-up by the local villagers, using bottles. The locals catch their fishes using a unique method: They collect 10 or so plastic water bottles and attach about a foot of fishing line to them. Along the line, are sub lines with a hook and a piece of fruit which they toss into the water and let them float downstream. If and when a fish takes the bait, it will drag the bottle down with it, but the buoyancy brings the bottle back to the top and the fish fights back until it is too tired to continue. The locals look for the bottles that are bobbing up and down in the water and simply go over with their boat and reel the fish in. On the way back to the Lodge, stop by at our composting area. As part of our ‘Go Green’ project, we have adapted this concept of composing organic waste such as foods and plants materials and growing our own organic vegetables to serve our guests.
- 1200hrs- Lunch is at Haji Awang Cafe. Thereafter, you have a free and easy afternoon until the next river cruise.
- [Meanwhile, you can opt to participate in our tree planting activity which is part of our efforts to support the forest restoration at Kinabatangan area or sign-up for batik silk painting featuring the wildlife of Kinabatangan and bring it home as a remembrance of your trip. Both optional activities are not within your standard package.]
- 1600hrs- Join in another afternoon river cruise to sight more wildlife and birdlife. As we are in the nature, each river cruise offers different sightings. You may recognize some of the wildlife and birdlife from the wildlife presentation of Day One. Your nature guide will help you with the information of each sighting.
- 1800hrs - Return to the Lodge, freshen up and have dinner.
- 2000hrs - Take the opportunity to learn the steps of our local dance with our talented staff before night trek.
- 2030hrs - Enjoy the night trekking to watch sleeping birds and nocturnal creatures of the jungle.
- 2115hrs - Return to your room. Overnight.
Morning river cruise to see the animals emerge for the cool morning weather
- 0530hrs -Get ready for the last river cruise along Kinabatangan River.
- 0730hrs - Back to the Lodge for breakfast and then returning to your room to pack.
- 0830hrs - Bid your farewell to Nature Lodge Kinabatagan staff before travelling back to your drop off point.
- Estimated arrival time in Sepilok: 1130hrs / Sandakan: 1230hrs
Meet your guide
What others are saying
Other Things to Know
No, we're afraid not. Kinabatangan River is one of the best places to see wildlife in Malaysia, as the wildlife mainly live around the small stretch of river. However, sometimes they do wander off to nearby palm plantations to feed for some weeks and then wander back to Kinabatangan River again. With wild animals, nothing is guaranteed - which is a little part of the magic too!